We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Raise the roof

13 May 2009

For Monday night's family home evening we had a rather special event.
Can you guess from these pic's of my favorite childhood movie?


We had our first "barn raising". We thought it would be fun to make an event out of building the coop. And also much more fun to borrow some children for the event- cuz kids make work a little more exciting. We called Matt and Emily and invited them and the fam. over to play.
But I forgot to mention, we have names for the cheekas-
See if you pick up on a theme,
Penny, Kate, Juliette, Clarie and Charlotte- Any clue?
We named them for the women of Lost. Our favorite TV mystery drama, that we are still clueless as to what is really going on in.
(they each have Sawyer nicknames too, for those that like the show)
The last week or so, Justin has been busy preparing. He laid the foundation first. Built the floor joists and then Saturday, spent his time building the walls for the coop. He built it all out of recycled, free wood, and our left over landscaping bricks that had been laying around the yard. cha-ching = zero dollars. (We did buy the sand and the floor board but 15 bucks is definitely do-able)
He also meticulously planned the coop. It matches our house, that also has a triangular shape off the back, it should be quite charming when it is done.
Of course we dressed up a little. Doesn't dressing up make all events more fun. We donned our cowboy hats and I put on my grandmother's apron and provided one for Emily as well. (course I had to wear it over the belly... but it just made it more funny)

When our friends got there we got straight to business, letting them meet and hold the gals. And miraculously, no one was pooped on.

We quickly got down to the hard work of nailing. The boys took this very seriously, pounding and pounding and pounding. (then, too funny, Matthew started complaining that his back hurt... so dramatic, but truly a part of all building projects)
We danced a little on the new floor, because after all, what is a barn raising without a good dance.
(for proof see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, or Oklahoma, although that was a school)

Then, we started putting up the walls. It was getting dark fast as a large storm approached, so the lighting got kinda bad.

I wanted it to look like I did more than just document the event, so Emily graciously let me pretend to work for the camera.
In the middle of our project, we had another visitor stop by. This little guy that seems to live in our back yard as of late. We really need to get a little fence up around our garden! But dang he is so cute. He is tiny! And he lets us get so close to him!
We finished getting the walls up and still have more to do, but on another day.

With only one minor casualty!

After, we wrapped up the night with Root beer. This is in honor of Justin. When he was little he was in a play of Charlotte's Web. He was a "barn raiser", and his part was to sit on the steps and drink a root beer. So, here's to you babe!

6 comments:

Anonymous,  May 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

"Territory folk should stick together, Territory folks should all be friends, Farmers dance with the rancher’s daughters...." I can't remember the rest, and so as not to seem like I have know idea what movie that was referenced in the beginning, this is for you ,"Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be, ain't met ya yet but I'm a willin to bet, your the gal for me..." Thanks for letting us come and do service, my boys need to see that service is fun, and well as entertaining. About the last few entry's you know how I feel, and if you don't you know my phone number and I live like two seconds away, so call. Love always, Me

Anonymous,  May 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Post Edit : Also, if anyone is commenting on this post, just in my own defense, M & C got themselves dressed this fine day, and they do own a pair of nice clothes

MammaMelgar May 13, 2009 at 9:23 PM  

We love the names. My chickies hatched today if you want a to sixth chickie to make it an even half dozen.

Corey, Kim, Natalie and Audrey May 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

Love it. Love it all. Where's Sun? And I think you need a Libby...she was around for such a short time but Hugo really loved her. Do it for Hugo!!

andrea wardle May 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

My brother and sister in law are in that play this summer in Vernal! I have to say it's been waaaay too long since I've seen 7 brides.... Great post. Great barn raising. I'll do a little dance in honor...

Lew June 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

Please let me know what it's like to raise chickens. I really want to do it, but need to know what it is really like before I take the plunge. I want to see the finished hen house!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP