Do you remember this girlish fan that hangs in my youngest son’s bedroom?
It’s white…it’s plain….it’s B.O.R.I.N.G!!!
Well…..not anymore……
{sorry for the awful photos. I had a dickens of a time photographing it}
I simply removed the fan blades and spray painted!
Here’s how I did it:
{cause you know you want to do this too}
Remove the fan blades with a screw driver. (assuming you want them a different color)
Clean all the parts really well!
Protect the areas that you don’t want painted with masking tape and newspaper. I masked off the ceiling and the electrical light sockets.
Open up a window to provide good ventilation.
Spray paint the motor assembly of the fan and the screws one color. (2 coats)
Spray paint the fan blades another color. (2 coats)
- Let the paint dry.
- Remove masking tape and paper.
- Reassemble the fan blades to the motor mount.
- Turn on the fan.
- Step back and WOW yourself and your family!!!
One last thing about the paint…..
Red paint ~ Krylon Fusion (Wal-mart)
Silver paint~ I used a combination of these two spray paints. The Valspar (Lowes) was the first coat because it has a deep dark under tone. The Rust-Oleum (Wal-mart) was used as the top coat because it has a light shimmering quality. Almost to the point of being glitter-like. I like the way the two paints worked together to give it dimension.
I just can’t get over how well this turned out. Again I’m sorry the photos aren’t doing it justice. This is a project that I had been thinking about for awhile and now I couldn’t be more excited about the way it turned out
I would be excited too!
It looks brand new!
THIS IS AWESOME!!! I really love the metallic paint. Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteBonnie
My jaw is on the floor... This looks fabulous!!! I have ceiling fans in every room, I live in Florida, and they're all just a white mess. Now I know what to do!
ReplyDeleteThanks Cassity for sharing my project.
ReplyDeleteIt might not get as hot here in South Carolina as your Texas summers but with 9 foot ceilings, ceiling fans are a must. And I agree, I'm too much of a penny pincher to pay high electric bills! This original builder fan needed an update that my pocketbook could afford!!! Thanks again :D
Oh I was frustrated with having to buy a new fan for our master bedroom, but I'm stoked to try this instead. Thanks for giving me confidence!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute. I liked the way that you did not even have to take the ceiling fan down to paint it. That is so neat!!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to need to start hunting for a old working fan. I need one for my baby on the way and I haven't seen anything I like...Until now.
ReplyDeleteoh wow! I love how different it looks. Totally takes an ordinary fan and makes it look custom.
ReplyDelete~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"
I just did this last month! I swear, the hardest part is cleaning all the grime off the blades. A totally gratifying project. [see it here: http://rubberducky26.blogspot.com/2010/05/fan-reveal.html]
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips on metallic painting.Fabulous result - what a great looking fan.
Amazing... truly amazing!
ReplyDelete